Causes of Car Accidents
Rely on an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Columbus
The sad truth is that most personal injury car accidents are not "accidents" at all - they could be prevented if a driver exercised common sense. Here's a look at some of the biggest offenders.
- Drivers who are drunk or under the influence of drugs
- Speeding. Not only does speeding increase the force of impact, it allows drivers less reaction time
- Road rage - drivers who either take unnecessary chances or take out their frustrations, either real or imagined, on other motorists
- Distracted driving. In the spotlight because of cell phones, smart phones, texting and other mobile devices. But it's also a problem with drivers who are eating, applying makeup or shaving, adjusting the stereo, chatting with a passenger or reaching for an object in the vehicle
- Tired drivers. Studies equate the reaction time of sleep-deprived motorists with drunk drivers
- Mechanical failure. Someone who ignores a blinking "check brakes" light or drives on worn tires poses a danger to other motorists
- General recklessness. This includes everything from drivers who are rubbernecking at an accident scene instead of paying attention to traffic to drivers who think nothing of passing other vehicles on the shoulder, accelerating to beat a red light or not using signals when changing lanes
How an Accident Attorney in Columbus Can Help With Your Accident
Other factors can be out of your control, too. An intersection may be poorly designed, a roadway may be inadequately maintained, and traffic signals may be in need of repair. In some cases, the manufacturer of the vehicle itself, such as top-heavy SUVs that are prone to roll-over accidents, could bear a significant part of the legal liability for your injuries.
Negligent parties usually don’t accept responsibility for the accident they caused. Drivers may not want to get into trouble for their irresponsible behavior. Manufacturers may not want to admit that they have been making defective products. And their insurance company will take their side, because their main goal is to pay you as little as possible.
Our legal team investigates your accident to find out what really happened. We know where to look for evidence of negligence. Scott Elliot Smith carefully reviews all documentation related to your accident, including police reports and medical records. He identifies and interviews witnesses. And if needed, he’ll bring in an accident reconstruction expert. He builds a strong case that proves another’s negligence was responsible for causing the accident that led to your injury.
If you've been the victim of a careless motorist who thought a yield sign did not apply to them but is blaming you for the crash, or a municipality that failed to maintain safe road conditions, the Smith Law Office knows how to secure justice and a fair financial settlement for you and your loved ones. We work on a contingency fee basis. That means we don't charge you any fees until we win compensation on your behalf. You have nothing to lose. Call 888-311-5297 or contact us online.