Frequently Asked Questions About Truck Accidents in Ohio
Have you been injured in a truck accident caused by a truck driver? Was a loved one killed by a tractor-trailer collision? These are serious questions that demand serious answers. At the Smith Law Office we understand you want information now from an experienced truck accident lawyer. That's why we have compiled some of the most frequently asked questions about truck accidents in Ohio.
Keeping accident victims informed and winning tough cases drives everything we do at our Ohio truck accident law firm. Discover what we can do for you. Contact us today. Call 888-311-5297 and schedule a free case evaluation. Your case matters here.
- What are the common causes of truck accidents in Ohio?
- What should I do if I'm involved in a truck accident in Ohio?
- Should I contact the police if my truck accident seems minor?
- Should I ask for a copy of the police report for my truck accident?
- Who investigates commercial truck accidents in Ohio?
- What if I can't reach the trucking company after my trucking accident?
- What should I do if the truck driver claims I caused the accident?
- What information do law firms look for when investigating a trucking company?
- Should I contact my insurance company after my truck accident in Ohio?
- Should I accept an offer from an insurance company after my Ohio truck accident?
- Can I negotiate with insurance companies for more money after my truck accident?
- Should I file a lawsuit after my Ohio truck accident?
- What type of compensation am I entitled to after a truck accident?
- What should I do if a loved one was killed in a truck accident in Ohio?
- Should I hire a lawyer for my Ohio truck accident?
- Why should I hire Ohio truck accident attorney Scott Elliot Smith?
What are the common causes of truck accidents in Ohio?
Truck accidents happen for many reasons. Some of the common causes of truck accidents we deal with at our Ohio tractor-trailer accident law firm include:
- Speeding truck drivers
- Distracted truck drivers, including:
- Texting truck drivers
- Overloaded trucks
- Drunk truck drivers
- Inexperienced truck drivers
- Tired truck drivers
Scott Elliot Smith will investigate your accident to determine the true cause and will fight to hold negligent parties responsible.
What should I do if I'm involved in a truck accident in Ohio?
- Make sure everyone's safe, including you.
- Call for emergency medical help, even if everyone seems fine. Let EMTs or doctors diagnose everyone and decide who's hurt.
- Call the police and ask them to respond to your accident.
- Obtain the following information from the truck driver:
- Truck driver's name
- Truck driver's insurance information
- Name of the driver's trucking company
- Address and phone number of trucking company
- Take photographs of the truck accident, including:
- Damage to vehicles
- Exact location of truck accident
- Write down the following information:
- Exact time of accident
- Exact location of accident
- Weather conditions
- Whether traffic lights were working
- Contact your insurance company.
- Contact us. Our experienced Ohio truck accident lawyers fight for justice.
Should I contact the police if my truck accident seems minor?
Yes. When you contact the police and they investigate your trucking accident, police officers create an official police report for your accident. This document can be critical when it comes to being fairly compensated for your accident. It may contain evidence that shows the other driver was negligent.
Should I ask for a copy of the police report for my truck accident?
Yes. Make sure you obtain a copy of the police report for your accident and verify all the information. Get a copy as soon as possible following your accident. If you disagree with any of the facts in the report, contact us. We'll help you set the record straight.
Who investigates commercial truck accidents in Ohio?
Local Ohio police departments, the Ohio State Highway Patrol and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigate most truck accidents in Ohio depending on the circumstances of your truck accident.
No matter who's investigating your truck accident, make sure you have someone on your side looking out for your best interests. At the Smith Law Office, we will aggressively investigate your truck accident with one goal in mind: to win your case.
What if I can't reach the trucking company after my trucking accident?
We have years of experience dealing with complicated commercial trucking accidents in Ohio. We know how to track down trucking companies and hold them responsible for your accident. If they are in possession of evidence that can help you prove your case, we will take swift action to gain access to it. We will not rest until justice is served.
What should I do if the truck driver claims I caused the accident?
Contact us immediately. We conduct our own investigation of the accident to find out what really happened. Scott Elliot Smith knows how to gather evidence and where to look for signs of negligence. We can deal directly with the trucking company and take legal action against them if necessary. Don't let them intimidate you. Fight back. Contact us.
What information do law firms look for when investigating a trucking company?
If you are represented by our firm, we will investigate the trucking company responsible for your accident to make sure it followed all the state and federal laws governing trucking companies, including:
- Documentation the trucking company hired licensed truck drivers
- Records indicating the trucking company:
- Provided truck drivers with mandatory rest periods
- Did not overload tractor-trailer trucks
- Did not hire truck drivers with a history of truck driving accidents
- Maintenance records verifying the trucking company made necessary repairs
We know where to look for evidence that the trucking company was negligent, and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Should I contact my insurance company after my truck accident in Ohio?
Yes. Simply tell your insurance company you have been in an accident caused by a tractor-trailer or another large truck. Keep your comments to a minimum and do not answer a lot of questions. You can provide basic facts such as names of people involved, where the accident took place, etc., but don't discuss fault. Direct all questions to us. We know how to deal with insurance companies. Insurance companies, even your own, are only looking out for their best interests. We are concerned about what's best for you
Should I accept an offer from an insurance company after my Ohio truck accident?
Make sure you carefully review any offer you receive from an insurance company. We strongly advise that you have a lawyer review any settlement offer first. In most cases, most insurance companies offer injury victims far less than the true cost of their accident. Don't shortchange yourself. Protect your rights. Contact us.
Can I negotiate with insurance companies for more money after my truck accident?
Yes. However, insurance companies have perfected saying no to injury victims. They'll often say a settlement offer is the absolute best that they can do. That's why you need someone who knows how to negotiate with insurance companies and get you the money you rightfully deserve. Insurance companies don't intimidate us. We know how to negotiate with them, and we have the case results to prove it.
Should I file a lawsuit after my Ohio truck accident?
Every truck accident is unique - just like you. That's why it's important to meet with us and discuss whether filing a truck accident lawsuit in Ohio is the best way to obtain the compensation you rightfully deserve. You have many different legal options. We can explain all of them to you and help you decide the best course of action. Call us today for a free consultation.
What type of compensation am I entitled to after a truck accident?
As a victim of a commercial truck accident or the relative of a loved one killed in a truck accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation for many different reasons, including:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Lost future income
- Physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
One of the first things Scott Elliot Smith will do is determine the true amount of damages you have suffered as a result of your accident. Then he will fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
What should I do if a loved one was killed in a truck accident in Ohio?
Contact an attorney to learn what your rights are. As your truck accident attorney, Scott Elliot Smith can work with your family to make sure your case receives the attention it rightfully deserves. He offers experienced and compassionate representation for family members of loved ones lost in a truck accident. The Smith Law Office can help you:
- Investigate trucking companies
- Negotiate directly with insurance companies
- File a wrongful death lawsuit
- Take any other legal action if necessary
Call today for a free consultation to learn more.
Should I hire a lawyer for my Ohio truck accident?
Yes. An experienced, aggressive Ohio truck accident lawyer can often make a dramatic difference in the outcome of your case. Negligent parties deny responsibility for accidents, and insurance companies try to pay you as little as possible. When you have a hard-working, results-driven attorney on your side, you can demand the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Why should I hire Ohio truck accident attorney Scott Elliot Smith?
At the Smith Law Office, we know how to investigate trucking accidents and we have the case results to prove it. We consistently help injury victims and their families obtain sizable verdicts and settlements in case after case.
What's the secret to our success? It's not simply our depth of knowledge about a wide range of legal issues or our aggressive style in the courtroom. It's our personal touch. We take the time to learn about every single client's case. Your case truly matters here.
Make your case count. Call 888-311-5297 and schedule an appointment today. We want to help you get your life back on track.